Nobody likes going out in the rain but do you struggle to get your dog to go out ?
It is understandable that your dog will want to stay in his warm, dry bed rather than face the elements to use the toilet so here are a few tips to make toilet breaks less of a chore.
- Going outside should always be an enjoyable experience for your dog – even when it is raining.
- It is easier to enforce this idea when the weather is not completely awful.
- Choose a time when the rain is light and spend some time playing or walking with your dog to get them used to a drizzle.
- Your dog will get used to wet grass and rain easier if you treat them while outside.
- When it is time to go outside use an action word like “QUICK” or “HURRY” to encourage them to do their business, no wandering or sniffing.
- Say the word again while they are doing their business and immediately praise them when finished, whilst encouraging them back into the house for a treat.
- Always have a raincoat ready for a toilet break with your dog – you can’t expect them to go outside if you don’t, so lead by example.
- Take a short walk when it’s raining, this can help to get your dog used to rainy days.
- If your dog really does hate the rain, try investing in a raincoat to make it more bearable for him.
- Remember to treat your dog when he has completed the toilet break or walk in the rain, there is no better incentive for a reluctant dog !