It is always easier to start cleaning your pets teeth from a young age when they are puppies or kittens but an old dog can learn new tricks, as long as you are patient, gentle and make it fun.
Use a soft toothbrush and toothpaste specifically designed for pets – never use human toothpaste as this can be harmful to your pet, ask your vet or local pet store for advice.
- Put a small amount of toothpaste in your pet’s mouth and immediately reward him with a treat, toy or praise.
- Every day, increase the amount of time between giving the toothpaste and the reward. Gradually increase the time each day.
- Next, put the toothpaste on a small toothbrush and slowly introduce to your pet’s mouth. Reward.
- Gradually work up to brushing the teeth, focusing away from the gum line. Reward.
- Continue brushing every day for the best results.
If despite your best efforts training is not going well there are many alternatives to brushing, dental treats and chews are available at your local pet store and dental toys can be found to have good results.
Taking care of your pets oral hygiene can have beneficial effects on their health and well-being so spread the word !